New Windows 8 user? Wondering how to turn off or shut down in Windows 8? Though sounds silly, it is one of the most frequently asked questions by new users of Windows 8. The shut down link is actually hidden in Settings charm. Continue reading to learn how to shutdown your Windows 8 PC.
Shut Down or Turn OFF Windows 8:
- Move your mouse cursor to the top right corner of the screen (or swipe in from the right edge of the screen) to open Windows charms bar.
- From the Charms bar, open Settings charm. Alternatively press Windows key+I key together to open Settings charm.
- Press Power in the settings charm. Three options will appear – Sleep, Shut Down and Restart. Select Shut down.
That’s it. Windows 8 will turn off or shut down instantly. Note: If you have updates ready, Windows will show update and shut down option.
Alternatively, you can set Windows 8 to turn off automatically when you press the power button of your computer. For that, follow the steps below.
- Open Search by moving the mouse cursor to the top right corner of the screen.
- In the search field type “power button” and select settings. Results will be displayed instantly.
- From the results select “Change what the power buttons do”.
- Windows 8 power and sleep buttons and lid settings will appear. For the option “When I press the power button”, select Shut Down from the drop down menu.
- Press the Save Changes button.
The above settings will let you turn off your computer simply by pressing the power button. From that same settings window, you can also set it to shut down when the lid of the computer (laptop) is closed.