Automatic update is one of the important features in Antivirus software like Avast Free Antivirus. Automatic update ensures better protection from new threats and without them your computer might become more vulnerable to virus and malware. But frequent automatic updates or too many update attempts might annoy some users. Personally, I don’t like automatic updates in Avast! or any other software. I prefer updating my software manually. If you are like me and want to manually update Avast!, continue reading. In this article you’ll find steps on how to disable or turn OFF automatic updates in Avast and also how to manually update Avast anti-virus.
How to Tun OFF or Stop Avast! Automatic Update?
- Open Avast! control panel (double click on the Avast logo in the taskbar).
- Open Settings in the Avast! control panel (it is in top right corner of the window).
- In the Settings window, press the Updates tab (on the left of the window).
- Avast! Update settings will appear. In the Engine and Virus Definitions section, select Manual update. In the Program section, select Manual update.
- Press the OK button. Then Close Avast! Control panel.
That’s it! You have just turned OFF Avast! automatic update process. But for the safety of your own system and data, don’t forget to update manually. From now on, updating is your responsibility! Wondering how to Update Avast! manually? That’s simple. Follow these steps:
How to Manually Update Avast! Antivirus?
- Open Avast! Control panel and go to Maintenance section.
- Under Maintenance, Update options will appear. Press the Update engine and virus definitions button (if you want to get daily virus database updates) or Update program (if you want to update the Avast anti-virus program).
- The update process will start. Note: in order to update, your computer must be connected to Internet.
- When the progress bar shows completion of update, close Avast! control panel.
- Right click on the Avast logo in the task bar. A menu will appear. Select Update and then select Engine and virus definitions if you want to update the virus database. If you want to update Avast installation (when a new version available) press Program.
- The Maintenance tab of the Avast! control panel will appear and update process will start.
- When the update process completes, press the OK button and close the Avast! control panel.
Automatic update is important for protecting your computer from new threats. If you turn off automatic updating, don’t forget to manually update your definition files and software. Make it a habit to update (at least once in one or two days) when your computer is not busy or when you have free time.