Did you know that you can revert back to your previous version of Internet Explorer (IE) just by uninstalling the current version? Yes, Microsoft Windows automatically restores the older version of IE upon uninstall of the newer version that you installed/updated. Want to uninstall Internet Explorer 9? Need some help? If yes, follow the processes mentioned below. I’m including three different ways to remove your web browser. First try the standard process. If that fails, go for the advanced uninstall process or the Microsoft Fix It solution.
Standard Internet Explorer 9 uninstall process:
- Click the Windows Start button and type View installed updates in the search box.
- Select View installed updates from the results pane.
- Under Uninstall an update, go to Microsoft Windows section and find Windows Internet Explorer 9.
- Right-click on Windows Internet Explorer 9 and click Uninstall.
- An confirmation window will appear. Click Yes.
- Finally select one of the two options: Restart now or Restart later.
The above procedure is standard & should work in most cases. But what if it fails? In that case, follow the advanced procedures mentioned below.
Advanced Internet Explorer 9 uninstall process:
- Use your computer as an Administrator or ensure that your account has administrative rights.
- Close all open Internet Explorer browser windows (if any).
- Click Start button and type cmd in the Search box.
- Then click cmd.exe from the programs list. A new command prompt window will appear.
- Copy & paste the following line in that command window:
FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"
- Press enter on your keyboard. Wait till uninstall ends. Type exit (or use x button) to exit command prompt.
- Restart your computer to complete the uninstall process.
That should completely remove Internet Explorer 9 web browser from your computer. If uninstall is successful, your previous version of Internet Explorer will be automatically loaded.
Still not working!
In rare cases, both of the two above procedures may fail. As a final resort, you can use official Microsoft Fix It solution. To uninstall Internet Explorer 9, you need to use Microsoft Fix It number 50778. Get it from here: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9787447. It is small file. Run it and follow the instruction in the wizard.