Gmail’s new tabbed inbox feature intends to help in easy browsing and management of your email messages. If you enable the Inbox tabs in Gmail, all your emails will be automatically grouped into several categories. If you are not happy with the new feature or if you want to get back the old style Gmail inbox (without tabs), follow the instructions below.
How to disable Inbox tabs or switch to old non-tabbed Inbox in Gmail?
If you don’t like the new Gmail inbox features, you can go back to earlier or non-tabbed version of Google Gmail. For that you need to switch Inbox type. Follow the steps below to switch back to non-tabbed, old inbox:
- Login to your Gmail account.
- Press the settings button (gear icon) in the right corner of screen.
- From the drop-down menu, select Settings.
- Gmail Settings window will appear. Go to Inbox tab.
- In the Inbox type option, select anything but default. For example: Unread first.
- Press Save Changes button in the bottom of the window.
That’s it. Gmail will now load your old favorite inbox. No more tabbed categories. In the step 5 above, you can choose any one of the following: Important first, Unread first, Starred first and Priority inbox. My personal favorite Inbox type is Unread first.