Windows 8 operating system refers all programs as apps. The Windows store apps (previously called Metro apps) or Start screen apps are different from “classic” Windows apps. They fill the entire screen and there is no visible menu to close or minimize. So, new users find it confusing to use Windows store apps. This article will guide you on how to open and close the Windows 8 apps.
How to open a Windows 8 app?
- Move your mouse to the bottom-left corner of the screen. The Start screen thumbnail will appear. Click on it to open Start Screen. Alternatively press the Windows button on your keyboard to go directly to Windows 8 Start screen.
- In the Start Menu, you’ll see tiles of different apps present in your computer. Find the app you want to open and then left click on the title. Your app will load in fullscreen mode.
How to close an App in Windows 8?
There are several ways to close a Windows 8 app. We will discuss four methods here.
Close an app with right click:
- Move your mouse cursor to the bottom-left corner of the screen. You’ll notice thumbnail(s) of your Start screen. Take your mouse to the left edge of the screen and start moving towards the top and you’ll see thumbnails of open apps. Alternatively, move you mouse cursor to top-left corner of the screen and you’ll see thumbnail(s) of currently open app(s).
- Right click on the thumbnail of the app you want to close and select Close from the context menu.
Drag and Drop to Close a Windows 8 App:
- Move your mouse cursor to the top-left corner of the screen. Find the thumbnail of the app you want to close.
- Press the left click button on your mouse, hold it and drag the app thumbnail towards the bottom of the screen. Release your left click. The thumbnail will disappear, meaning your app has been closed. This method is best suited for touch-screen interface.
Close Windows 8 App with Shortcut:
- Go to the app that you want to close.
- Press Alt+F4 keys together. The metro app close instantly. This method is quick and best suited when you are actually inside an app.
Close an app from Task Manager:
- Open Task Manager. To do that, right click on the taskbar and select Task Manager from the context menu. Alternatively, press Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys together to open Task Manager.
- Under the Processes tab of Task Manager, find the name of app you want to close. For example: Microsoft Solitaire Collection. Right click on it and select End task from the menu.