Learn how to export the saved passwords from Mozilla Firefox. Firefox stores your saved passwords in a profile folder on your computer. There is no direct option to export the saved usernames and passwords. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t export them! You can manually export your passwords from the profile folder. But if you want a quick solution, try Firefox Password Exporter add-on.
Password Exporter is a tiny add-on. It offers a simple interface for importing and/or exporting passwords in Mozilla Firefox browser. It supports import/export of passwords in both XML and/or CSV format. Though it lacks proper encryption, there is an option to obfuscate the usernames and passwords. This browser add-on also supports import/export of the list of sites that never saves your password. Overall, Password Exporter is handy tool for those who uses the Firefox’s in-built function (Password Manager) to store username and password combinations for different sites.
How to export passwords in Firefox?
- First install the Password Exporter add-on from this official page.
- Go to Firefox Options and open Security tab. Under the Passwords / Logins section, you’ll notice a new button titles ‘Import/Export Passwords‘. Press it. Alternatively, go to Add-ons manager, find Password Exporter and press the Options button.
- The Import/Export Passwords dialogue box will appear. To make your passwords unreadable by human eyes, check the obfuscate Username/Passwords check box. Then press the Export Passwords button.
- Password Exporter Notice will appear. Press the I Accept button during first run.
- Then, you’ll be asked to choose a location to save your export file. Choose a location in your hard drive, flash drive or external drive. In the File name field, you can enter a custom, easy to remember file name. Default name is also okay. Select export file type (.xml or .csv) from the drop-down menu. Press Save button to export.
- Your passwords will be exported instantly. A message will confirm the successful export. Press OK and then close the Export/Import Passwords dialogue box.
How to import Firefox passwords with Password Exporter?
- Go to Add-ons manager in Firefox and press the Options button next to Password Exporter.
- The Import/Export Passwords dialogue box will appear. Under the Import Saved Passwords section, press the Import Passwords button.
- Select a file dialogue box will appear. Browse to the location where you kept your previously exported password list.
- Press the Open button. Your passwords will be imported. Error (if any) will be shown. Close the Import/Export Passwords dialogue box.
Also check: How to set a master password in Firefox?