Learn how to turn off or disable Superfetch service in Windows 8. Superfetch is one of the important performance related services in Microsoft’s Windows 8 operating system. First introduced in Vista, Superfetch aims at improving Windows boot time and faster loading of applications. It monitors applications that you use most and preloads them into memory. So, your applications loads faster, almost instantly.
Superfetch ensures the characteristic quick boot time and smoother user experience on Windows 8. But sometimes it causes high CPU usage or unusual memory leak. In such a case, it is often suggested that you should try disabling Superfetch to solve the problem. Moreover, Superfetch is unable to provide significant performance improvement on a Solid State Drive (SSD). So, some experts suggests that you should disable superfetch on your SSD.
How to disable or turn off Superfetch?
- Open Task Manager. To do that, right click on the Taskbar and select Task Manager from the menu. Alternatively press Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys together.
- When Task Manager appears, go to Services tab. Look in the bottom of that window and click Open Services link.
- Services window will appear. Find Superfetch and double click on it.
- Superfetch Properties window will appear. Under the General tab, look in the Service status section. Press Stop button.
- In the same tab, go to Startup type and select Disabled from the dropdown menu.
- Press Apply button to save your changes. Press OK to close Superfetch properties.
That’s it. You have successfully disabled Superfetch.
Is it safe to disable Superfetch? How to enable Superfetch?
Yes it is safe to disable Superfetch. No other system component is dependent on this service. So, there is no risk of breaking your system! Moreover, you can re-enable it anytime. Follow these steps to re-enable Superfetch:
- Open Windows Services window (follow above mentioned step 1 and step 2).
- Double click on the service named Superfetch to open the service properties window. Under Startup type, select Automatic from from the drop-down menu.
- Then go to Service status press Start button to start the service.
- Press the Apply button and then press OK.