So you want to disable Java on your web browser? Find below the instructions to disable Java on Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome and Safari. The Oracle Java 7 has some serious vulnerabilities, which could posses threat to your system. It is advised that Java remains disabled on browsers until a solid fix is available. If you are not sure how to do that, read on. The procedure varies from browsers to browser. But Java on all installed web browsers can also be disabled from a single interface. We will also discuss that option on this article.
Disable Java from Java Control Panel:
Users of Java 7 Update 10 and later can easily disable Java in browsers right from the Java control panel applet. To do that you need to open the control panel first. If you are wondering how to open the Java control pane, read the following:
- Open the Java Control Panel (Instructions to Open Java Control Panel).
- Go to the Security tab.
- Deselect the check box before Enable Java content in the browser.
- Press the Apply button. If Windows User Account Control dialog appears, allow to make the changes.
- Click OK in the Java Plug-in confirmation window.
- Restart your web browser(s), if open.
How to disable Java in Firefox?
New versions of Firefox comes with disabled Java plugin. Also the Click To Play feature in Firefox ensures that the Java plugin will not load unless a user specifically clicks to enable the plugin. If you are using a old version of Firefox or manually enabled Java plugin, follow the steps below to disable Java plugin.
- Go to Tools and Select Add-ons from the drop-down menu. (Shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+A)
- Firefox Add-ons manager will appear. Select Plugins section.
- Available plugins will be listed. Press the Disable button for Java plugin (disabled everything that say Java).
- Close the add-ons manager. No need to restart your browser. Java plugin is now disabled.
How to disable Java in Internet Explorer?
In order to completely disable Java in Internet Explorer, you need to use the Java Control Panel method. So, follow the first set of instructions mentioned above (for disabling Java from Java control panel).
Note: Applications which rely on Internet Explorer can also be affected by Java vulnerabilities. So, don’t forget to disable Java on Internet Explorer.
How to disable Java in Chrome?
- Open the Chrome menu, and then select Settings.
- At the bottom of Settings window, click Show advanced settings
- Go to the Privacy section and open Content Settings.
- Scroll down to the Plug-ins section.
- Click Disable individual plug-ins.
- In the Plugins panel, go to the Java section. Click Disable.
- Close and restart the browser.
How to disable Java in Safari?
- Click on the Settings icon and open Safari Preferences
- Go to the Security section.
- Under Web content: deselect Enable Java.
- Close Safari Preferences window.
So, the above were instructions for disabling Java on Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Apple Safari browsers. If you prefer quick and easy ways, disable Java from Java Control Panel. And don’t forget to check for future updates released by Oracle.