If you are looking for a free CD or DVD burning software, you should definitely try BurnAware Free. The BurnAware Free is a feature-rich, optical disc authoring application which offers an easy-to-use interface for writing all types of files including music, videos, pictures, documents, archive files and ISO images onto an optical disc. It can write to both blank and rewritable CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs. BurnAware Free is an Windows-only application. It can be used with Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
The BurnAware disc burning products are available in three versions: Free, Premium and Professional. The free version lacks only these features: direct disc to disc copy, simultaneous burning of ISO to multiple drives and audio track extraction & recovery. Those features are nice but most users can do without them. In other words, this freeware application will meet almost all of your optical disc authoring or CD/DVD burning requirements.
Key features of BurnAware Free:
- Absolutely free application without restrictions of any kind.
- Supports following types of media: CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM and BD-R/RE.
- Supports MP3, WAV, WMA, AAC, OGG, M4A, and FLAC audio formats and M3U playlists.
- Supports UDF, Bridge and ISO9660 (Level 1-3, Romeo), including Joliet Unicode extensions.
- Ability to create MP3 music and DVD video discs.
- Ability to create bootable CD and DVDs.
- Supports ISO and CUE/BIN image files.
- Supports multi-session for DVD-RW/+RW and import of any session.
- Can erase or format rewritable discs.
- Option to verify disc for read errors.
- Not dependent on additional drivers or .NET framework.
- Supports all types of optical discs and disc drives.
- Works with Windows XP, Vista, 7 and Windows 8.
BurnAware Free Review:
BurnAware Free is considered by many as one of the best freeware burning software available out there on the Internet today. I’m using this application since last 2 years & I do agree with them. BurnAware Free is definitely a good burning application for Windows. It has a clean interface, where all available burning options are presented in four different sections: data, multimedia, disc images and utilities. BurnAware Free can create four types of data disc: plain data disc, bootable disc, blu-ray disc, and custom ISO/UDF discs. Multimedia disc writing options include: audio CD, MP3 disc and DVD-video disc. On various occasions you may need to burn disc images. BurnAware Free has following options related to burning disc images: burn image, copy to image, Make ISO and Make Boot ISO. Under Utilities section, you’ll find options like Erase Disc, Verify Disc and Disc Info.
Burning a disc with BurnAware Free is easy. Insert your blank or re-writable media to disc drive. Disc burning option will automatically appear. Selection BurnAware Free. When the application window appears pick the right option for your burning job (example: Data Disc). A new window will appear, where you can add items to burn. If you want, select a burn speed and then press the big red Burn button. Your burning job will be processed by the application.
Creating a 4GB data DVD with BurnAware Free never took more than 10-12 minutes on my system. Also , I never found any problem with bootable discs created by this freeware application. The Disc Info option presents many details about the inserted disc. Erase and verify options also works nicely. BurnAware Free never puts a high load on CPU. Even during burning, CPU load and memory usage remains at decent levels.
My remarks: Highly recommend this freeware. One of the best DVD burners.