Auslogics Disk Defrag is a free file system defragmentation tool for Windows. Disk Defrag is free, lightweight and easy to use. It comes loaded with many advanced features/techniques, which helps in defragmenting files and overall optimization a system. In my opinion, Auslogics Disk Defrag is powerful defragmenter and you must try it once! Read on for more details and full review.
Why Disk Defrag?
Auslogics Disk Defrag is one of my favorite defragmentation tools. It is small in size (less than 8MB), has an easy to use interface and does it’s job pretty well. It is fast and can easily defrag large disks with terabytes of space. Auslogics Disk Defrag Free can optimize your system by defragmenting free space, cleaning Master File Table reserved zone from regular files and moving system files to beginning or the fastest area of the disk.
How to use Auslogics Disk Defrag?
This freeware tool is easy to use. First get the software installation file from the download link below and run the installer. Once installation is complete, open the program and you’ll be presented with a clean interface with all your drives. Select the drive you want to defragment and press the Defrag button. Then Disk Defrag will analyze your drive to find fragmented files. When fragmentation found, the application will continue to defrag them. You can monitor the progress in the interface. The Cluster Map will display different files with different colors, including the ones that are being processed.
Note: You can also use the Analyze option before starting actual defragmenting. That will provide you option to selectively defrag single files.
Disk Defrag interface shows disk drives in an attractive cluster map. There are multiple color themes for cluster map, which you can set in the Cluster Map tab of settings page. The Algorithms tab of settings has options like delete temporary files, skip large fragments and move system files to beginning of the disk. Other customization options include display tooltips, hide Solid State Drives (SSD), change language, start automatically with Windows etc.
Auslogics Disk Defrag is also available as a portable application. It means you can run the tool directly from a storage device such as USB drive. The portable version is small in size (less than 3MB) and has all the key features of the main version, including disk optimization. Auslogics Disk Defrag Portable supports Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 operating systems.
Key features of Auslogics Disk Defrag Free:
- Freeware defragmentation software.
- Ability to merge scattered free space into a single block.
- File System optimization my moving system files to beginning of the disk.
- Prevents Master File Table fragmentation by moving other files from MFT Reserved Zone.
- User interface displays list of all fragmented files and location of their respective clusters.
- Option to delete temporary files before starting defragmentation.
- Option to defrag in Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) compatible mode.
- Option to skip large fragments in the defrag process.
- Single File Defragmentation option.
- Option to automate defragmentation.
- Option to automatically turn off computer after defragmentation.
- Can be integrated to Windows Explorer context menu.
- Command line support (use cdefrag.exe).
- Portable version available.
- Available in multiple languages.
- Free for both personal and commercial use.
- Supported operating systems: Windows XP SP3 (32-bit), Windows Vista SP2 (32-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) and Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit).
- Minimum memory: 32MB RAM
- Minimum disk space: 25MB free hard disk space
Auslogics Disk Defrag supports following languages: English, Spanish (Spain), Spanish (Argentina), Hungarian, Japanese, German, Serbian, Korean, French, Polish, Chinese (Simplified, PRC), Chinese (Traditional), Danish, Portuguese (Portugal), Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Dutch, Czech, Turkish, Indonesian, Italian, Slovak and Malay